A landscaping material that makes a lawn look good and is beneficial to plants? Mulch is any kind of material that is spread or layered over the surface of the soil. It generally consists of organic elements (leaves, grass clippings, wood chips, bark chips, peat moss, pine straw, field hay, etc.) but depending on the mulch type, it can include inorganic materials like rubber and plastic as well.
Mulching has various benefits:
- Mulch prevents the bare part of the soil from receiving sunlight and thus reduces the germination of weeds.
- Mulch also reduces evaporation and therefore helps the soil retain moisture.
- Places that are hard to mow or shady places can be covered with a layer of mulch to give them a finished appearance.
- Organic mulch decomposes with time and adds to the nutritional content of the soil.
- Mulch helps regulate soil temperature – when temperatures are high, it helps keep the soil cool, and when temperatures are low, it helps retain the warmth of the soil.
At Down To Earth Landscape & Irrigation, we use premium-quality mulch to protect plants and add to the aesthetics of the landscape.